Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

aperture

Dandelion shots I took today - f/4.5 (top) and f/9 (bottom)

Chuy and I bought a pretty awesome camera, so we have been learning a bit about photography.  Let's talk aperture.  Haha.  Aperture refers to the focal length, or the area that will be in focus.  The smaller the number, the bigger the aperture and the smaller the area of focus.  Above, you can see how I was playing with the aperture to get different areas of focus.  In the top shot, I used an aperture of f/4.5, which implies I only want a small area to be focused on and the rest to be blurred.  Notice how the seeds and their hairy parachute (or whatever it is actually called...) seem softer, a bit blurred.  In the bottom shot, the aperture is smaller, which makes the area of focus larger.  In this shot, you can see how the flower as a whole seems sharper.  I don't know if I explained this well...  Just try to look at the photos and see if you see the difference!

3 comments:

  1. Cool, cool, whenever Chuy makes a post about pics he took, he explains how he took them, and with the stuff he's said, and this aperture thing, I'm beginning to know what all those things do, now I only need a decent camera :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the larger the aperture(smaller the f #), the smaller the area that can be in focus. On this camera, the difference is quite dramatic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, you can see the difference right away. I like it when pics are as sharp as they can be though so I prefer the bottom one.

    ReplyDelete