Pages

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Another 5 day weekend

This time, it wasn't so random since we get two days off for Thanksgiving. A totally made up holiday, but hey, we get 2 days off.... And we added a day off on the Monday after just for fun.

Before the weekend even started, it was already fairing well with a Dhani Harrison show. I found out about this show because Spektor posted about it, it intrigued me, then google kept pestering about it (through ads everywhere... I guess google nows the kind of music I like...).. so I gave a listen and found it interesting enough to go for it. It was at a small venue and pretty cheap, so why not? As we digged more into his songs, I found one that I loved, seriously one of my favorites songs of the year:



The show itself was unusual. It was such a small venue and the crowd was super mixed, from teenagers to old-old people (that were clearly there because they were Beatles fans....). It started with a pop duo (singer and guitarist only)... not my kind of thing. Then Summer Moon came out, and they were great, surprisingly. It was like a mix of qotsa, rhcp and modest mouse with a little rockabilly thrown in. We looked into them after, but their recordings dont do them justice. Dhani Harrison and his band was great and played my favorite song from them, so it was awesome. It's the best feeling hearing a song you really like, played live well.

A post shared by Angélica Chacón (@angelicachac) on


The weekend started off very well with Coco, enjoyed it like most Pixar movies. I was hesitant of the subject matter to be honest, but they did a great job. After, it continued on its great streak with a Mogwai show. It was on Thanksgiving, I don't care one bit about Thanksgiving but Chuy is a fan of the feast portion of it, so when he almost wanted to sell the Mogwai tickets when he realized when the show was, I had to convince him to just do a feast on the day after haha The great thing about it being on Thanksgiving was that the streets were empty, it made for a very enjoyable bike ride, yup cars are bike ride joy killers. As usual, the Mogwai show felt more like a meditative experience rather than a show, they are mostly instrumental and their music is like sonic landscapes of raw emotions. It's great, here's a song if you have no clue what I am saying:


A post shared by Angélica Chacón (@angelicachac) on


Then we had the feast that Chuy looks forward to hahah



Then it was time for the Arch Enemy and Trivium show. It was a long show and we decided to not go for the 2 opening bands, even though we heard them and one of them was cool enough that I would have wanted to see them. It started early and it just wasn't feasible. So we got there late, and it was a sold out show, Trivium had just started their set, we jumped around quite a bit trying to find a place to be able to see the show well. A couple of really tall people (6ft plus) kept following us around and placing themselves right in front of us ughhhhh By the time, Arch Enemy came out, we had found a spot, so were set. It was fun, I hadn't been to a metal show in a while, gotta get my metal fill now and then.



The next day, we went to see Wonder. Sophie had read the book and was looking forward to it. We watched it and enjoyed. Or at least I thought we all had enjoyed it. Sophie informed us that it was far inferior to the book, that they butchered the story and she felt sorry for us for not reading the book haha

On Monday, we were suppose to do stuff, but after that weekend, our bodies disagreed and we did nothing, it was great.

2 comments:

  1. These long weekends and constant stream of shows have been super awesome! They will be sorely missed come January :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this looks like it was super great! I liked the songs! Especially the mogwai one, I'll have to look more into them (:

    ReplyDelete