Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

canela

Cinnamon.  FYI The bottle pictured here is not the one that the cinnamon came in, we just transferred it there because it is easier to use.

What does the smell of cinnamon remind you of?

To me, it was just an usual ingredient in my oatmeal.  I never gave it a second thought.  Occasionally, we would buy organic cinnamon that would smell extra nice and give a nicer taste.  But the last time that we bought cinnamon, Chuy found a fair trade, organic one.  I didn't give it much thought, until I used it for the first time.  A sprinkle on my oatmeal, and suddenly I was having flashbacks.  This was not cinnamon!  This was canela!  Like the one my mom used.  It smelled exactly like the canela sticks my mom used.  I have no idea what she used them for, since I don't recall any foods that she gave me with canela.  So now everytime I have oatmeal, I have the images of my mom and canela sticks in my head.  It's rather nice.  And it tastes nice too.  I know cinnamon is canela, but apparently the quality matters.  And for me, lower quality = cinnamon, and high quality = canela and my mom.

6 comments:

  1. That is super cute and true!!! Scents take you places. We have a good memory for that. You can tell the difference in quality from organic to conventional in spices the most imo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute, weird coming from Angie...not sure why I find it weird, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, i won't say it's cute cause everybody already said it lol. But yeah, I remember my mom would have those canela sticks. hmmm, what for though?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most common use for canela sticks in my home was for arroz con leche, oatmeal and canela tea, it seems that everyone in my family loves canela tea.

    Just today I had a conference and they gave us some doughnuts with cinnamon that I used to have here with my parents, when I smelled them some memories of that times ran trough my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute? people, nothing I say can be cute, it goes against me hahah

    @luis maybe it was for arroz con leche, i never ate it but i know she did, mystery solved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me da gusto saber que me recuerdas con ese caracteriztico y rico sabor de canela. Y que tal el te de canela y oregano que ustedes bautizaron como te de menudo? :)

    ReplyDelete