Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

activism...

..and my lack of.

Disclaimer: this has nothing to do with the post, I just like taking pictures of clouds...

Today, we went to buy some cupcakes from a vegan bake sale for Animal Aid. On the way there, we noticed some of the people from the vegan group had a stall with a person dressed up as a chicken haha, handing out leaflets about how horrid the egg industry is, they also were giving out tiny vegan cupcakes and vegan chocolate-eggs. After we said hi, and all, we encountered some people protesting against the proposed cuts to the national health care system. And then we finally got to the vegan cupcakes, and bought some. There were other stalls with other people giving different information about different causes that we passed after that too.

This made me think that maybe I should be doing something. The thing is, that this kind of activism doesn't lend itself to an introverted person. So what is there for me to do? This has been a constant question of mine. Actually, my dream job would be to be working in one of these organizations with a cause that I care about. I don't need/want to live lavishly. But a meaningful job would make work worth working. But those kind of jobs are usually low tech, people-person jobs.

The point is, I am tired of just voting with my money, I need to do more.

5 comments:

  1. That's exactly how I feel! Those times I protested with VAA.. I felt so out of place. :/ Meaningful jobs aren't always necessarily people-person jobs. What about volunteering work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like to think that I am not shy, but I am. Talking to people randomly, heck even talking to strangers(remember the Madison hostel thing Geli?) in unusual situations really gets complicated for me. Even when a stranger talks to me and I was not expecting it, I end up saying the weirdest things. Like I freeze and get clumsy in the way I talk...it is weird. I also need something not so "in your face" to help haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. But yes, I also agree, that we need to do something more....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mari the thing is that i don't have time to volunteer :(

    @chuy yes, of course i remember the hostel thing hahaha and yes, you are shy, i didnt even know that about you until recently haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. well dude!! put your knowledge into it~!! Como up with a way to reach out to people wioth your beliefs someway! =)

    ReplyDelete