Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

50mm f/1.8


We got this lens today, I didn't get to play around with it much but I took the pictures above and it's awesome!  They are not perfect pictures, but it shows me the potential of this lens.  At first, I didn't want to get it, because I thought it would be a waste of money.  That is because Chuy kept referring to it as the 50mm lens, and the kit lens we have goes from 18-55mm.  What he forgot to mention is the aperture of f/1.8!  Now this is way bigger than the kit lens, for which the maximum aperture is f/3.5.  Consider this, a 50mm lens that is f/1.4 is about 2.5 times more expensive than the 50mm lens we got.  That's how important aperture is.  I still have to get used to the no zoom, and the focus is very sensitive, it could ruin your picture.  Like above, the bottom two pictures are not in perfect focus, Sophie moves too fast!  But I'll get it!

3 comments:

  1. God, those pics look amazing!!! I still don't get what aperture means though :| lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, camera technical stuff, I never even though about that kind of stuff before, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this lens has HUUUGE potential :) I really like it.

    @Mari - Aperture is the size of the opening that the lens can achieve.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aperture_diagram.svg

    The bigger the aperture, the smaller the f/#. It is a division. The bigger the "hole" the more light it lets in, and the faster and "better" you can take night pictures. A side effect of opening wide, is that while more light gets in, less can be in focus. Which makes for strategically blurry shots, which I think look really cool :)

    ReplyDelete